College Sketches: Val & Bridget



I'm excited to share these sketches I drew years ago in a college model drawing class (at FIT) as well as offer them as new prints in my shop. What made me want to revisit some of my college class work was something that someone recently posted on my Facebook fan page. They asked if I was ever going to draw "real women" who were not a size zero. Although I myself am no where near that size, it is my illustrative style to draw very elongated, albeit unrealistic, fashion figures.
These two fashion illustrations however were drawn from plus size models. The models posed for us for the overall stance and attitude of the sketch, then we drew garments on them based off images of our choosing. I went with two Valentino designs from a magazine editorial. The little black dress drawn on "Val" (aptly named after Valentino;) is from a 1997 collection and the elaborate taupe mini dress and feathered bag on "Bridget" are from a 2002 collection. (Luckily I had made notes besides the sketches so I can share the source info with you.) Hope you like these illustrations from my college archives.

Leave a Comment

Anonymous said...

Being a larger woman myself I can appreciate these fabulous sketches! More like these! Love them!!!

digitalartist said...

I love these too! :) I've been meaning to create fashions and templates that emanate more of the norm for women! It's my next mission! I love your site Brooke!!! You are fabulous!!

Brooke Hagel said...

Wow, thank you! I have to say although I'm certainly no skinny minnie, its hard for me to draw realistic girls. I just spent so many years in school, and in the real world, drawing "fashion figures." But I do want to make an effort to draw more realistic women with beautiful curves.